Most everyone in the US knows how crazy Americans party for Cinco De Mayo. I have a dear friend who gets unraveled every year about this. I meant to post her FB rant on the 5th. Better late than never.
It’s your annual rant… I mean lesson on Cinco de Mayo from your friendly Spanish teacher. 🇲🇽
1. Cinco de Mayo is not Mexican Independence Day. That’s September 16th. Which means you will have another excuse to drink Margaritas and eat Nachos in a few months. ¡Viva México!
2. Margaritas, Nachos, hard shelled tacos, Chimichangas, Fajitas, 7 Layer Dip and Burritos were all invented in the USA!
3. Cinco de Mayo is the Battle of Puebla. This little town in Mexico scared the French Army into retreating and they won the Battle on May 5th. 😄 ⭐ ⚔️
4.MAY 6TH- The French came back and finished the job. Mexico WON THE BATTLE, BUT LOST THE WAR!!!!. 😧 🇫🇷
5. If you have read up to here so far… you may have a Tequila Shot! (Tequila is Mexican.)
6. “Remember Cinco de Mayo,” was a saying of HOPE. If they defeated the French once, they could do it again.
7. Mexico lived under French Rule and had a French Emperor named Maximillian. One day, the Mexicans cut off his head and he really had a hard time ruling after that. ☠️
8. You may have another shot of Tequila!
9. There’s lots of French culture in Mexico… like Pan Dulce! 🥐
10. France and Mexico get along now… 🇫🇷❤️🇲🇽 except if they are playing a soccer game in the World Cup. The last time they played, Mexico won and all the Mexicans in the stands were yelling, “¡Cinco de Mayo!” Now it makes sense why they were yelling that. ⚽🏆